Sunday, July 19, 2009

All in a Sunday's work

from w
It was going to be a relatively quiet Sunday and I started the day listening to hymns on the FM radio. Then all I had planned for the day was to just play music for morning church, then in the afternoon go to a meeting with writers. But it got complicated, first with an email giving us the sad news of the passing of Peceli's much loved cousin, Neimani Lala, from Wailevu, Labasa. Then I had to make a call to an Australian poet friend whose Mum had passed away this week and I will go to the funeral tomorrow. I was nearly late for church at East Geelong. Fortunately I didn't play the music upside down.

Peceli asked me to go with him to Altona Meadows/Laverton church for the 1 p.m. Fijian church service. I couldn't sing the hymns as the song-leader was a fine soprano from Gau who tuned us up rather high! We hadn't had lunch first, so I was hungry by 2.40 p.m. A Fijian nurse from the Royal Melbourne Rehab had phoned that Mitch (from Natewa) was a patient so could we visit him. Okay, we found the hospital behind the Melbourne Zoo and were happy to see that Mitch could speak clearly and was recovering very well. Here is a photo of Va (from Beqa) the nurse, and Mitch with his wife and two daughters - such nice people.

By 4 p.m. I was still hungry but we couldn't find a park near the Chinese shops in Footscray for a meal of Chinese soup so we kept on driving until we spied a Hungry Jacks on Somerville Rd and their food is better than Macdonalds. Also they offer all kinds of coffee instead of Fanta etc.!

Then we visited a Lau/Gau family near Werribee (no kava drinking this time thank goodness) and I talked ten to the dozen, partly about exorbitant traffic fines with faulty speed cameras. We got home before 7 p.m. and we are grateful that our very old car did not let us down. And after all, it was quite a busy day.

1 comment:

nzm said...

That was an action-packed day for a supposed day of rest! But then as a minister and a minister's wife, I guess that you are used to that!