Thursday, August 20, 2009

A man from Babasiga land

from w
Many men and women of the older generation are an inspiration. Here is one, a doctor who comes from Namuka, Macuata. (story from Fiji Times today). One thing I noticed in the article was the emphasis on discipline. I heard a good quote a couple of days ago. 'Without discipline we are not a human being. We are just an animal.' Not that I mean harsh discipline, just an orderly life keeping in mind the community not just your own needs.

A true heart of service
By RITESHNI SINGH
Friday, August 21, 2009

HE was taught by his father at a very young age to serve with a true heart. After 60 years of service, Doctor Ilaitia Turaganivalu (pictured) believes he has done well in keeping to his father's philosophy. "We were very obedient people and were true to our work," he said. The Namuka man from Macuata cannot ever remember being late to work in his 60 years of service. "There's nothing like a serving life," he shared.

"My first posting was to Lautoka. After that I went to Rakiraki and many other hospitals in Viti Levu. I knew the kind of work we did was not like private practice. We looked after patients in hospitals day and night. In private practice, patients were sent home after they were seen," he said."If anything happened at night, we had to go and check them. I am happy to have been engaged in that kind of life. People remember us because of our contribution and our work."

When he retired, he was re-employed and posted to work at the St Giles Hospital where he served for about 24 years. Dr Turaganivalu retired again in 2007 and is now forced to live a life he describes as boring. "It's very boring now since I stay home all the time," he shared. To keep himself busy, he tends to his plantation every morning. It is a chore he grew accustomed to as a child. "I used to plant every morning from 6am-7am whether it was rainy or sunny. I thank God that he gave me the strength to serve people.

"My father was a very religious person and life was a bit difficult for me and my older brother. We were not allowed to join the rest of the boys in the village. I used to cook every morning while my brother went fishing or to the farm."

Dr Turaganivalu observes that today's generation is different. "In the old days, we were disciplined. I think in this new age, young people are cleverer than us and not as frightened of their boss as we were." He believes young people nowadays are not as dedicated to their work and are not afraid of their parents. We always followed the rules but we enjoyed life."

Dr Turaganivalu was nominated by his daughter, Losana Ah Yuk. She believes her father has played a big role in serving the communities of Fiji in the medical profession. "He has done it for more than 60 years and I feel that it is a major accomplishment for a village boy who came from a very poor background," Ms Ah Yuk said. She said her father served the country with dedication and never thought of going into private practice.

1 comment:

ALIANSI-MAHASISWA-PAPUA(AMP) said...

you my visit us at
http://kkampjogya.multiply.com/

FRONT PEPERA PAPUA BARAT POLITICAL NEWS - MyHeritageFeb 23, '09 9:48 AM
by ALIANSI MAHASISWA PAPUA for everyone

Link: http://www.myheritage.com/site-28894481/front-pepera-papua-barat-polit...


PRESIDENT OF UNITED STATED OF AMERICA OBAMA YOU MY HEARING HIM TO THE YOUR CONGGRESSMAN MR. ENI FALEMAVAEGA FROM SAMOA AND WE BELIEVE HIM TO GIVING WEST PAPUANS FREEDOM NOW ADAYS. FOR ENDING THE BIGGEST RACISM IN WEST PAPUA NOW ADAYS

Tags: papua merdeka

audio reply video reply
Add a Comment